Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Additional step after link, HX DOS extended binary with WinAsm Studio
japheth
Posted: Aug 19 2007, 10:31 PM
Quote Post

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4595

Hello,

I wanted to create a HX DOS extended binary with WinASM, but run into a problem. Creating such binaries is usually very simple, because the format is like Win32 console PE applications, just another MZ stub is needed as input for the linker. However, after the link step there must run another tool, which patches the PE header (to prevent the binary from being run as a Win32 process if it is launched in a DOS box).

Can this be done with WinASM, without having to create plugins?
PMEmail Poster
samael
Posted: Aug 19 2007, 10:40 PM
Quote Post

Extremely Active Member

Member No.: 5187

japheth,

There is an addin (by QvasiModo) for post-processing the output binary with an executable packer/protector:
http://www.winasm.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=74
Maybe you could use this as a solution (the path to the compressor/protector is configurable), or as a template to quickly tailor up an addin, specifically for the header-patching utility.
PMEmail Poster
akyprian
Posted: Aug 20 2007, 09:43 PM
Quote Post

Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1

Hi Japheth,

samael's suggestion is a very good easy way out, I guess. Is it a satisfactory solution or do we need a better one?

Regards,

Antonis
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
japheth
Posted: Aug 21 2007, 02:59 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (akyprian @ Aug 20 2007, 09:43 PM)
samael's suggestion is a very good easy way out, I guess. Is it a satisfactory solution or do we need a better one?

I guess it somehow does the job - although I was unable to get it to do it and gave up -
but I was just playing around and there is no need at all to make WinASM able to generate Dos32 HX binaries

However, concerning Win32 binaries, there might indeed be a need to extend WinASM to make it a bit more flexible. Besides ML, LINK and RC there is at least the MIDL tool - usually needed for COM binaries - which one might consider to integrate.
PMEmail Poster
akyprian
Posted: Aug 21 2007, 05:18 AM
Quote Post

Administrator

Member No.: 1

Thanks for the suggestion japheth.

In case you haven't noticed, you can add a batch file to your project and execute it from within WinAsm Studio for full flexibility.

cheers,
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
japheth
Posted: Aug 22 2007, 02:40 AM
Quote Post

> In case you haven't noticed, you can add a batch file to your project and execute it
> from within WinAsm Studio for full flexibility.

Thanks! No, I didn't notice, however, I finally succeeded running my PATCHPE tool with the "exepacker" plugin. (the problem was it didn't expect the filename argument enclosed in double quotes).
PMEmail Poster
SeaFarer
Posted: Aug 22 2007, 09:19 AM
Quote Post

Extremely Active Member

Member No.: 1464

Contratulations!

I guess like samael suggested you could make a few changes to that add-in after all, and presto... one PE patcher to go! ;)

Hmm...

I did not realize that there is a batch feature as well. Maybe the help file should note this?

Time to tinker... :rolleyes:

EDIT

MIDL tool - usually needed for COM binaries - which one might consider to integrate.

Could you give us some more information on what this tool does? Thank you.
PMUsers Website
Sponsors
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll