Articles
Programming Quick Start
32-bit Assembler is Easy
Porting Iczelion tutorials
What is FASM
Hard Drive Recovery
Wiring your own LAN

Forum
Pages (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post )

Some suggestions for making WinAsm better !, Very good advices ! Plugins and more improvments !

TheKing
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 40777

Sponsored Links
Hi !

Am am a newbie in asm, i have just started to use it for learning assembly language. Before starting I searched on google for the best asm editor & compiler.
After i 've finished that research i have found that WinAsm is the best of all but there are some missing features like i will gonna say bellow.
So, let's start:

1. Here is Chromatic asm:
http://franck.charlet.pagesperso-orange.fr/chromatic.html

The best feature of it is that one when you do a mouse hoover on a function or a variable name, you get its definition like in the image bellow:
user posted image

I don't see this feature in WinAsm and i think it is very good and you should improve it to winasm.

2. Now let's compare winasm to easyCode, a very good asm editor but not so good as winasm is (because of many reasons):
user posted image

See letter A in the image: this one has more control properties than winasm offers.

See letter B: it has a visually menu editor for your apps, which winasm doesn't provide too.

See letter C: You can insert an image or add a picture to your apps and visually resize it and see it like in MS Visual Studio 2010. This feature is not posible in winasm. (i am not sure about but i haven't seen it).

See letter D: it has 3 buttons so you can switch easy from visualised app to code or to live preview of it.

See letter E: it offers some features like VS 2010 offers, for working better with controls.

Finally, see letter F: it has more controls in toolbox than winasm.

----------------------

3. Abou RadAsm:
user posted image
A. As you can see it offers the posibility to create more applications like .ocx, drivers and so on (see image above).

B.user posted image
It offers the posibility to make more diffenernt programming lang than masm.

C.user posted image
It offers the posibility to add or remove buttons to compiler or add custom ones.

That's all for teh moment ! biggrin.gif

I hope you will not botehr for this topic, I have made it just for helping you to make WinAsm better. (or the best biggrin.gif )

Thank you !
PMEmail Poster
Gunner
Quote Post

Extremely Active Member

Group: Admins
Member No.: 27608

1. Yes it does!!! Click on a function name and see what happens (Not as much info as Chromatic but it shows the args)

2. Easy Code, blah... don't use it... you don't have full control over your created code.... (it is more like visual basic, if that is what you want then use it)

A. It has those, all those are in style and exstyle (see number 2)

B. It does have a menu editor (try adding a new menu!!!!! And see what comes up)

C. WinASM DOES have an image control ( it is a standard window control!!!)

D. You can easily switch to code view, visual dialog editor, and preview dialog!

E. It has those options in the toolbox...

F. They both have the same amount of controls (they all are standard window controls) if you need more in the toolbox, add a definition...

As for more assembler types supported... from the help file:
WinAsm Studio is a front-end to MASM

I personally use RadASM and WinASM....
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
TheKing
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 40777

You mean you can make an .ocx file or .sys driver so easy like RadASM prove ? How ? Where are those options ?

Second, I know that EasyCode is not so good, i have tested it before like i have said, that is why i have choosen winasm. But, you don't think it will be more better to have more control properties like easyCode has ? Just look in that image: i clicked on the form control and it brings up so many form properties for this form. When I click on the form in winasm it shows to me some form properties but not so many. There are lots of properties for each ontrol you want to use.

Why are you using RadASM if you say winasm is 100% what you need ?

Thank you !
PMEmail Poster
shoorick
Quote Post

Extremely Active Member

Group: Admins
Member No.: 160

winasm studio basicly is a masm32 frontend.

there is a fasm add-in which improves capability of winasm studio, so it can be used for other assemblers and even other hll-tools - see fasm add-in help file for batch mode.

in any case usage of winasm studio for non-asm projects is not plain, as ide was targeting to asm: you will not be able to set colouring style different from asm (eg. it is always line-based and ";" is always comment separator, and this can not be changed), also your project must include at least one empty asm or rc file to make build buttons enabled, etc. anyway, hll-s usually have own great ide-s to work with them

finally (it is an answer to other topics) i should say winasm studio developing is stopped in general (as well as some old add-ins), but you may do a lot for yourself with it by building your personal add-in.

regards
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Slider
Quote Post

Extremely Active Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5004

I found Chromatic to have too many bells and whistles and too complicated for my use.

PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Sponsors
Computer Science

Internet
C/C++
Hardware & PC maintenance

HiEditor

General Discussions
Suggestions/Bug Reports
WinAsm Studio

General Discussions