Articles
Programming Quick Start
32-bit Assembler is Easy
Porting Iczelion tutorials
What is FASM
Hard Drive Recovery
Wiring your own LAN

Forum

warning LNK4033 and error LNK2001, the linker throws warning LNK4033: converting object format from OMF to COFF and error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol...

IanB
Quote Post

Extremely Active Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 745

OK, I think something has gone badly wrong with my WinAsm setup and I have no idea what. I've replaced the executable with the latest download and it's still screwy so it might be a problem with the other files, or something else entirely...

First thing I noticed was that linking stopped working on a project I was working on. It compiles the resource, then assembles fine, then the Linker throws this error:
CODE
warning LNK4033: converting object format from OMF to COFF

after which I get all the API calls thrown back:
CODE
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _MessageBoxA@16

I didn't change any of the project settings, I had a working app that assembled and linked to exe and ran fine, then I added some code and it stopped working for no apparent reason. I've never had such an error before. Other projects still seem to link OK, however.

But the reason I know there's something more fundamentally wrong somewhere is that the keyword recognition is slightly broken. I have all default settings for colours etc. which include the registers showing in grey. Now, even in the projects that link OK, registers are not being recognised and appear in black like normal text. Only register keywords seem to be affected.

To examine the problem, if I go into the Tools\Options\Keywords settings box, the entire tab is locked up. The scrolling listbox at left doesn't respond to clicks. All other tabs function correctly. So this is definitely non-functional although I can't see why this would affect the linking, even though the coincidence of it breaking is notable.

Any suggestions for fixing this are urgently required, and appreciated.

EDIT: Managed to fix the keyword color problem by replacing the KeyFiles\MASM.vas file, although I haven't touched those folders since installation, so something else trashed it. I still have the linking error though. What on earth could be preventing the link?

Sponsored Links
PMEmail Poster
IanB
Quote Post

Extremely Active Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 745

I finally fixed this. The assemble command switches for the project were missing, I'd lost the /coff and /Cp options somehow. I can't remember messing with that, I'd have no reason to touch those options normally, certainly not to remove anything.

Very very strange, especially with the corruption of the MASM.vas file for no reason. wacko.gif
PMEmail Poster
cozofdeath
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 15129

Sorry to bring up an old topic. This is also happening to me and randomly at that. The project will compile fine until it randomly decides to delete all the project properties. So I've just been adding them back again. Well now it doesn't even help to add them. Now it just outputs the "warning LNK4033: converting object format from OMF to COFF" error every time no matter what I put in for project properties.

Has anyone else experienced this or have a solution???

*UPDATE - I've downloaded the newest ml.exe from MS and it seemed to fix the error and link issues. Now let's see if WinAsm can keep the project properties safe. (I'm using the newest version of WinAsm)

*UPDATE - The newest ml.exe from MS, while on debug mode, gives an error saying the debugging information is corrupt but on release mode it works? So I managed to change the settings in the project and get them to work again with the old version because I need the pdb files.
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Sponsors
Computer Science

Internet
C/C++
Hardware & PC maintenance

HiEditor

General Discussions
Suggestions/Bug Reports
WinAsm Studio

General Discussions