Programming Quick Start
32-bit Assembler is Easy
Porting Iczelion tutorials
What is FASM
What is FASM G
Hard Drive Recovery
Wiring your own LAN

Forum
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 4   ( Go to first unread post )

Convert your XP To Tablet PC Edition, you would like to have features such as HANDWRITING RECOGNITIO

AvidStudent
Quote Post

Extremely Active Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17238

Sponsored Links
You can go here: http://micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2656&highlight;=Convert+tablet

to learn about the conversion process AND to download the setup files needed.

Why convert your XP to tablet? There is only one reason to do it. You own a WACOM PEN TABLET, and you would like to have features such as HANDWRITING RECOGNITION, integrated into your windows XP.

Ok there are two reasons. The one stated above, and or you want to save yourself a couple $1,000. :D make your laptop a tablet without spending $1500 for a new tablet laptop! By god I think I just saved you some bucks!

Some things your ought to know

After reading through the FULL THREAD in the above posted link, I semi-automated the entire process, and skipped the part about making a new installation CD.

I USE windows XP PROFFESIONAL (corporate edition,) and therefore the semi-automated setup I created applies to this version specifically. Depending on your version of windows the setup batch file will need to be modified. The problem is, it is not known which versions of windows require which versions of the registration key DWORD/STRING Type.

I recommend that you download the WINDOWSXPITPRO torrent and use that version of windows xp. I do not know if doing this will void other versions of windows WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) but mine works fine. That is how you get xp corporate and it does not ever require activation with microsoft and it never complains about major changes to the system requiring reactivation.

After you understand all of this and you have read through the entire posted link above and you still want tablet functionality send me a pm or contact me on yahoo messenger or by mail and we will make it happen for you.

PLEASE CONTACT ME BEFORE YOU PROCEED, PERHAPS MY EXPERIENCE WILL BE AN ADVANTAGE TO YOU. IF YOU GET STUCK I'M STILL HERE FOR YOU, IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO A WORKING PC. BACKUP YOUR FILES BEFORE PROCEEDING! AND MAKE SURE YOU CAN RESTORE THOSE FILES WITHOUT WINDOWS! (NORTON GHOST-12.0 EQU PERFECT)

One more note: I tried an alternate method I found somewhere else on the net. It did not work. It installed the programs but it would never insert hand written text into text input controls. NOT RECOMMENDED.

I would love to employ this method on every version of windows XP I have developer copies of, but I don't have the time for a project of this size. So, if you need help you will let me know won't you?
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
akyprian
Quote Post

Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1

AvidStudent,

Thanks for the idea, could you please post your knowledge about the subject here?

Thanks in advance,

Antonis
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
AvidStudent
Quote Post

Extremely Active Member

I am working on a rebuild of semi-auto-setup... Stay tuned people.

I am rebuilding it because I changed the directory structure from the original download! Having some issues keeping up with what is what at the moment.

The end result should be that you can download the file from the above link, extract it, drop in a batch file and run the batch to be done with it all.

If you are adventurous enough to proceed BE SMART AND USE A VIRTUAL MACHINE FIRST! I request that you post information about your setup to this forum so that other members of the community can benefit from your experiences.
AvidStudent
Quote Post

Extremely Active Member

Download the first download file in the forum mentioned above.

Put this batch file in the extracted directory.

Batch automated setup:

CODE
@Echo off

Echo XP PRO2Tablet O.S. Conversion
Echo.
Echo If you have tried to install this system without
Echo proper guidelines being followed, you might lock
Echo yourself out of the conversion process!
Echo.
Echo Prepare to install .NET 1.0 for XP Custom editions
pause
cmd /C I386\SVCPACK\netfx1.msi
Echo.
Echo .NET Framework Installed yet?
Echo.
Echo You may close this window NOW to cancel Conversion!
PAUSE
Echo.
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\WPA\TabletPC" /v Installed /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
Echo.
Copy $OEM$\$$\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Copy2Gac.exe %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705
Echo.
cmd /C rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection TabletPC 128 $OEM$\$$\Inf\tabletpc.inf
Echo.
cmd /C rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection TPG 128 $OEM$\$$\Inf\tabletpc.inf
Echo.
cmd /C rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection System 128 $OEM$\$$\Inf\tabletpc.inf
Echo.
cmd /C rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection OOBE 128 $OEM$\$$\Inf\tabletpc.inf
Echo.
cmd /C rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection Notebook 128 $OEM$\$$\Inf\tabletpc.inf
Echo.
cmd /C rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection StickyNotes 128 $OEM$\$$\Inf\tabletpc.inf
Echo.
cmd /C rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection AllReg 128 $OEM$\$$\Inf\tabletpc.inf
Echo.
cmd /C rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection AllShortcuts 128 $OEM$\$$\Inf\tabletpc.inf
Echo.
cmd /C rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection SRInstall 128 $OEM$\$$\Inf\tabletpc.inf
Echo.
%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\Copy2gac.exe /i /a /p:"%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink\1.7\"
Echo.
Echo Welcome To Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
Echo.
Echo Only thing left to do is restart...
Echo save all your work close open apps......
Echo.
Echo OR close this window to cancel shutdown.
Echo.
pause
shutdown -r -f -t 00

RUN THE BATCH!

You will be prompted to insert a CD several times over!
There is no CD! All the files are located in:

CMPNENTS\TABLETPC\I386

In the file you extracted. browse there for the files when prompted.
AvidStudent
Quote Post

Extremely Active Member

Oh yeah there is a file called cmdow included in the download. It is flagged as a virus. I was told by google it is an old system utility. My method of semi-automated install does not use that file.

You can purchase a Wacom Pen Tablet from WACOM

http://www.wacom.com/ It comes with a driver that can control your mouse. great for graphics artists and designers.

They also sell refurbs for about half off.

I own a BAMBOO model. I purchased from http://www.NEWEGG.COM new in the box.

512 levels of pressure sensitivity. (for painting apps like photoshop.)
Tilt sensor (for the pen angle detection)
Two pen buttons (can be programmed)
A Zoom in Zoom out finger 'wheel' works for document applications that support zoom like web browsers for instance.

Four programmable buttons on the tablet itself.

I can't remember what the DPI is but you can find out at the WACOM site or at the NEWEGG site.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages (4) [1] 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Sponsors
Computer Science

Internet
C/C++
Hardware & PC maintenance

HiEditor

General Discussions
Suggestions/Bug Reports
WinAsm Studio

General Discussions